Saturday, January 30, 2010

frugal transformations

Most know that I am a frugal shopper.
Given the choice to shop at a mall or a thrift store I would choose the latter..
I can go into a store with a 20 in my pocket and come out with bags full of treasures waiting to be transformed at my hands AND still have change left over :)
Most of my 'decor' is that of thrift shop finds! (I will take the time at some point to post you some of my 'gems' so that you all can truley see how easy it is to turn someone elses junk into something of your own pride and wonder!)
My hope is that you too will find yourself lookin around and wondering what you can transform for mere dollars into something of your very own creation.
Recently I visited the salvation army warehouse one of my favorite 'second hand' stores...I went in,in hopes of finding yet again another book to add to the over flowing library that I have began to build.
Not only did I come home with 1 but 3 Nora Roberts ,one of my all time fave authors (cost to me 1.50 if I paid retail over 20!)...I was also in high hopes of finding something I could make into a book shelf for my livingroom but found myself coming up empty handed at that attempt ,so I began digging through bins of fabric and sheets...amongst the mounds of them I found the perfect 'curtain'
(Rick has been working very hard at laying the hardwood in the livingroom and since the choclate color I wanted for the walls isnt gonna happen I decided to accent the room instead)
Once Ive taken a closer look at the material I realize its already one huge panel and decide how perfect is that? I can cut it in half and make 2 panels out of one AND the job is already half done for me...I flip it over to see the price tag and Im sold instantly..brand new walmart tag retailed at 19.98 and I pay 2 bucks!
So I come home paint the trim around the windows...wash the windows,wash the curtains,make my panels and hang em up...once again Im filled with pride knowing that no.1 I found a bargain and no.2 I transformed them!
Some would call me cheap ...but I much preferr the term frugal...I get simple pleasure from taking something old and making it into something new.
Now ya all know I couldnt do a blog just about frugal shopping without there being a lesson to learn as well... ;)
First let me define frugal:1.thrifty and economical ,2.sparingly used,simple
Latley Ive been on a path of self discovery...I find myself getting in touch with my spiritual side at a level I dont think I have ever aquired before.
Much like the things in my home I've 'watched' as I too have began to transform...I was frugal in my attempt to open myself to new possibilities...to allow God to take charge in my life and create something new in me.In other words I was simple and sparingly in my attempts at achieving a higher level of spirtualness.
I allowed it to become dusty and old,it has sat on a shelf (so to speak)waiting patiently for me to come along,dust if off and embrance its newness...I have remained believing in what I was taught and how I was raised rather than seek out the new treasures God has instore for me.
Transform:1.to change shape or appearance,2.to change the nature of, or to convert.
Transformation is a marvelous gift that we all have inside us,once we allow it to change us on the inside it isnt long after that we, as well as others, can see the changes on the outside.
In a sense its a reflection of our spiritual energy,it mirrors how we feel both on the inside and the outside.
So the next time you look around for that bargain,that frugal deal,remind yourself that all things are possible.
It doesnt take much to transform 'something' other than a little elbow grease,(take that and interpret it as you may ;) ....)you will find in the end that slowly but surely you will have created something you can be proud of.

1 comment: