Thursday, January 14, 2010

Its about the 'knowing' that makes a lasting friendship

As I sit here today I observe in my mind those that I call friends.
Most think that a person like myself (haha) is surrounded by friendship however those that assume would be mistaken.
Hard as it is to believe people....
No I dont have a little black book where I pencil you in...
No I dont hold an interview so that you can be my friend (ha ha sorry kinda thought that one was funny :D ,tad bit vain too dont ya think?)
No I dont way the pro's against the con's for allowing you to be my friend (damn again that sounds sooooooooooo vain)
If I am your friend and you are mine it is because we chose each other,something drew me to you and something drew you to me.

To say that I have close friends that I 'hang out' with daily would be a lie,infact I dont have any friends that I go and have a cup of coffee with or make a trip to the mall with (to spend the hubbies hard earned money hehe)BUT that is by choice.
I am a homebody ,now that Im not working I spend most of my time here in the home and take pleasure in the simple things in life.
My best friend is a woman I have never meant personally ,she knows me inside out without being in my presence,she finishes my sentences and knows what Im thinking without me even having to say a word.Although I do not know her as a face to face friend ,I can honestly say that she is the best friend I have ever had and maybe thats in part because of the fact that we have never been in the same room lol.
I dont say that with any disrespect I say it because its truth.
We are two peas in a pod,very head strong when it comes to family and friends.
we are both opinionated and fearless,we will go to battle for each other when need be.we are funny and yet serious.we are loving and caring and down right bitches on occassion.she loyal and honest.I care about her and she cares about me.These are all the things I look for in a friend.
In away friendship is much like a partnership because its about giving and taking,not just from one but from both parties..its about working towards a common goal in life :contentment,peace,happiness,quite simply 'just to be'.
Now maybe to you that doesnt make sense but to me it makes perfect sense.
Many times I have been very fake (shock of all shocks eh?moi?fake?)
I have pretended to be someone I am not just to get approval and acceptance from another and/or their 'click'.
I let myself down by doing so because I never want to be anyone else other than exactly who I am.
It took me many a friendships that went sour to realize that if a person doesnt like me just the way I am then its their loss not mine.If I accept you as you..you in return should accept me as me and if not dont let the door hit where the good lord split ya!
I have friends that I talk to daily and can confide in on a certain level..I even have 'family' that I consider friend rather than relative because I know I can trust them,I know I can say and be who I am without judgement and vise versa,I have friends I HAVE to talk to daily and others I can go without talkin to for weeks or months at a time yet pick right up where we left off.I have best childhood friends that will always hold a place in my heart and are more like sisters than anything.
To me it isnt about the numbers or the 'type' of friend its about those that you can call friend and truley know what it means,what it stands for,what it defines.
Mostly its knowing there is someone out there that cares and loves me no matter what.Its knowing that someone other than myself worries about me...its knowing that someone thinks about me and knowing they take time out for me...sometimes its just about the 'knowing' that makes for a lasting friendship.

1 comment: